Nancy's Bone in Chuck Recipe
Servings: 4 to 5
· 3- to 4-pound chuck roast on the bone
· Kosher salt, ground black pepper, garlic salt, to taste
· Flour for dredging
· 2 tablespoons canola oil
· 3 to 4 large onions
· 2 to 3 tablespoons fresh rosemary, roughly chopped
· 2 to 3 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
· 4 medium to large potatoes, peeled and cut into large chunks
· 4 to 5 large carrots, scraped and cut into 2-inch pieces
1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
2. Heat the oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat
3. Season the beef generously with the spice mix. Dredge in flour, shaking off excess
4. Put the beef in the hot pot and brown on all sides. Remove to a plate and wipe the pot clean.
5. Add half of the onions to the bottom of the pot; sprinkle on half the rosemary-garlic mixture. Put the beef on top and cover with the remaining onions. Sprinkle with the remaining rosemary garlic mixture. Note that there is no other liquid added; the onions will produce plenty of juice.
6. Add the prepared potatoes and carrots around the roast. Cover the pot tightly and roast in a slow oven for about 3 hours or until fork tender, checking the meat occasionally to make sure it’s not cooking too fast. Once the onions exudes their juices, the liquid should remain at a slow simmer.
7. Remove the meat to a cutting board and cut into serving slices or chunks. Place on a serving platter with a slotted spoon put the onions on top of the meat. Take out the potatoes and carrots and arrange around the beef.
8. Boil down the juices by about one quarter and spoon over the meat and vegetables.
9. Enjoy :)
[In a large Dutch oven add a Bone tablespoon or two of canola oil and brown the meat on all sides. Remove to a plate. Wipe out any browned bits and fat. Add half of the sliced onions. Sprinkle on a mixture of chopped rosemary and garlic; Lay the roast on top and cover completely with the remaining onions. Cover that with more rosemary and garlic. Notice there is no liquid added; the onions after slow braising produce plenty of juice which serves as the gravy. Surround the roast with large cuts of potatoes and carrots. Cover and put in a 325-degree oven to cook for about 3 hours or more until fork tender.]
Nancy’s Slow Cooker Chuck Roast Recipe
This very simple recipe makes very delicious Pot Roast!
- 2-3 lb. Bone-In Chuck Roast
- 10 oz Tomato Soup or Cream of Mushroom Soup (standard can)
- 2 lb. Small Potatoes
- 1 lb. Sliced Carrots
- Salt and Pepper (Season to Taste)
- Pour 1/2 can of Tomato or Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup in a 4-6 Quart Slow Cooker-no water.
- Place Bone-In Chuck Roast in Slow Cooker.
- Pour other 1/2 can of Tomato or Cream of Mushroom Soup Over Roast
- Place Potatoes and Carrots Around and On Roast (Add Onions if You Wish)
- Season Lightly with Salt and Pepper.
- Cook on Low for 8 Hours, Depending on Slow Cooker. Meat should easily fall off from bone when done.
- Enjoy! :)